Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Semi-Fail (Already!)

My first bake fail - and this is only my third posted recipe! As I was typing the list of ingredients, I noticed that I left out the 1 1/2 cups of cake flour. No wonder these cookies seemed so thin and buttery!

I don't know that it was a complete disaster. I made them look "springy" by rolling them in blue and purple colored sugar.

Colored sugar is simple to make! Just pour out a bit of sugar onto wax paper and add a couple drops of food coloring. Use a spatula to color all of the sugar.

Well, I guess I'll have my brother test one of the cookies and let me know how they taste. I doubt that leaving out flour will have much of a detrimental effect when it comes to deliciousness.



Springtime Sugar Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour*
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Colored sugar for rolling

Beat shortening and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla extract.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture at low speed until well blended.

Refrigerate dough for at least an hour for easier handling. (I always refrigerate the dough, no matter what cookie I'm making!)

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Roll dough into teaspoon-sized balls and roll the balls in sugar. Place two inches apart on parchment paper-lined sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes.

*Need a cake flour substitute? Put 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a 1-cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the cup with all-purpose flour. Do that for every cup of cake flour that a recipe calls for.



I guess that my failing-to-read-the-entire-ingredients-list fail didn't turn into too much of a disaster! They look so... well... springy!



I made blue and purple sugar. Don't you just adore springtime? It's especially appreciated here, where we went through a bitter cold winter.



Update: My dad taste-tested a cookie for me. The lack of cake flour didn't ruin them after all! Hooray! So I guess it's up to you whether or not you use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment