Saturday, May 15, 2010

Summertime Biscotti

I know it's not technically summer, but it is for me! School is out! And I found these biscotti on the Cooking Light website. They were slightly different from the one in their 2010 cookbook. The ones I decided to go with had no butter. Can't you tell I'm on a health kick?

I didn't have any lemon extract on hand, which the recipe called for, so I just juiced one of the lemons that I used for the zest and threw in about a couple teaspoons of lemon juice. Turned out wonderful!



White Chocolate Lemon Biscotti
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract (I used a couple teaspoons of lemon juice)
4 large egg whites
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups white chocolate (chips or chopped bar - I used chips)

Place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to sugar mixture. beating until well blended. Stir in chocolate. Refrigerate for about an hour so the dough is easier to handle.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Turn dough out onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Shape dough into two 12-inch logs and pat to 2 1/2 inch width.

Bake for 35 minutes. Remove rolls from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.

Cut rolls diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. I got about 11 slices from each log, but mine were also slightly thicker than 1/2-inch. Place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes. Cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool. Remove from baking sheet and cool completely on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment